Portchester Crematorium was opened in 1958 and is situated on the lower slopes of Portsdown Hill between Fareham and Portsmouth. The Crematorium is controlled by a Joint Committee of Councillors representing the City of Portsmouth, the Boroughs of Fareham, Havant and Gosport but operates as an independent establishment with specialised administrative and technical support from the constituent local authorities.
The number of cremations has risen from an initial 400 to over 3,300 annually. It is now one of the busiest establishments of its kind in Britain. A second Chapel was opened in September 1969. The Joint Committee holds membership of the Federation of British Cremation Authorities and abides by their Code of Practice which can be found under 'Guides and Information'.
In recent years a number of major building works including new cloisters and waiting rooms have been undertaken to ensure the building meets the highest standard for those attending services. The crematorium has also upgraded all of its equipment to ensure strict compliance with the Environmental Protection Act.